What is Athleisure Wear?
The word ‘athleisure’ is a combination of athletic and leisure. Athleisure has become a fashion trend that includes apparel designed for workouts and other athletic activities, but are not limited to being worn at the gym or while exercising. You can sport athleisure wear at casual social events and even at the workplace.
What are the Features of Athleisure Wear?
Athleisure wear have some of these common features:
What Comprises of Athleisure Wear?
- Yoga pants
- Jogger pants
- Gym tanks
When Did Athleisure Become a Trend in Fashion?
Athleisure is not a new concept, although it has recently become a fashion trend. It began surfacing in the 19070s when health and fitness started gaining people’s attention. Soon people started prioritizing comfort in what they wear. In fact, workplaces began promoting casualwear, with several studies showing that comfort increases performance and creativity. By the turn of the millennium, athleisure become hugely popular. The US athleisure market is expected to grow from $46 billion in 2016 to $350 billion by 2020, according to data published by market research firm the NPD Group.
Why Has Athleisure Wear Become So Popular?
Athleisure wear has gained immense popularity for the following reasons:
- Makes people feel comfortable and calmer
- Makes people feel more active and healthy
- Gives an empowering and inspirational feeling
- Supports a short workout during lunchtime and other free times
How Has the US Athleisure Wear Market Grown?
What is the Athleisure Market Segmentation?
What are the Benefits of Athleisure Material?
Good quality athleisure wear:
- Allows freedom of movement
- Helps prevent skin irritation
- Can be worn to different events, like going to the gym, brunch with friends, grocery shopping and exercising at home
- Absorbs moisture, preventing clothes from feeling sweaty and clingy
- Makes your body feel dry, fresh and comfortable
- Makes you feel warmer in winters and cooler in summers
- Allows skin breathability
- Aids posture
What is the Difference Between Athleisure and Activewear?
The two are quite similar and most use the terms interchangeably, however, to some the terms can seem different.
Activewear refers to gym clothes that allow maximum flexibility, comfort and movement. These clothes are mostly made of Lycra, spandex, nylon and other synthetic fiber material, which makes them extremely comfortable.
Athleisure can be the combination of activewear with leather and mesh. It has evolved a streetwear style that keeps you going all day long, looking fresh and stylish. These clothes can be worn for workouts and leisure activities.
Is Athleisure Meant Only for the Gym?
No. Athleisure is an “athletic-look” fashion trend that has made it popular to wear comfortable clothes for casual activities and events.
How Can I Develop My Athleisure Fashion Sense?
Step 1: Follow celebrities who wear the athleisure styles that you like
Step 2: Learn to mix and match clothes and accessories
Step 3: Combine colors, fabrics and textures
Step 4: Master the craft of layering clothes
How Can I Create the Perfect Athleisure Look?
Here are some tips to create the perfect athleisure look:
- Invest in street joggers and pair them with sleeveless t-shirts and a fitted jacket
- Accessorize athleisure clothes with oversized sunglasses, a baseball cap and a statement handbag
- Choose strappy sports bras
- Match your outfit with chic sneakers
- Choose fabrics designed to be breathable, odor reducing and sweat-wicking.